Saturday, December 22, 2012

Wrapping up our Story

I started this blog so I could honestly report what a hosting experience might be like. I stopped posting because we had a major problem arise, and I was trying to sort out how to share with everyone what happened without creating painful gossip for either of my 2 girls.
So, in general, now that it has blown over, I think I can share the remainder of our story.

Our girls started sticking tightly to their room. They refused to eat what I cooked every night, and rarely helped cook. They stopped socializing with our family much, if at all. And finally transportation was a much greater demand than I had been led to believe when inquiring about this program. I didn't understand what role or say I had in any of these matters.
Then, one Friday, they decided to spend the night out, expressly against my wishes and against what they had promised.
They did so, I found out later, because Seed "A" was enraged that I would dare to set a curfew for her. She grew up never having even her mother tell her when she must come home, from as early as 13 years old.
So Seed "B" went along with it.
What followed was a demonstration of their sincere wish to have a new family. They worked together to let us know that we just didn't understand their culture, and that they must have a new family, so if I would be so kind as to let Susan know that I "release them".

Royal and I let Susan know that we wanted to work things out, and we felt that the VERY basic expectations that we had should be supported. (Basically that they participate in our family.) 

The girls stopped openly rebelling, and we thought all our problems were over.

The next Monday, Seed "A" brought her teacher, an important member of the St. Louis Deaf Community to Susan and told her we had threatened to send her home if she didn't keep our family rules.

More trying to resolve concerns and come to agreement on our expectations of the Girls.

More frustration.

By the end of October, I thought we were starting to get to a more enjoyable arrangement. But I just had one problem. Seed "B" was using my personal laptop every night to facebook and skype with her Deaf community. I knew it would break her heart if I took it away, and I knew she was sure to break my computer since she knew nothing about computer viruses, the internet, downloads, or any other basic internet savvy. She never touched a computer til she came to America.
Well, it happened. My computer broke down, so I grew a backbone and apologized profusely and begged her to understand that I had to stop allowing her to use it. It was my first laptop, and a computer I treasured that she surely could not afford to replace.  She cried, and was indeed broken hearted. 
Thursday night, the family went out to our weekly church class, and the Seeds wanted to stay home and rest.
Friday morning, I discovered that Seed "B" had opened up and used my laptop for internet surfing while I was out of the house. She had also closed the programs and the laptop to hide her activity.

So, that was when I let Susan know they would have to move. I simply cannot live with wonderful young women whose word I cannot trust in my own home. So, while I love them, I am relieved to have moved on with our lives and a more peaceful home.

No comments:

Post a Comment