Friday, August 10, 2012

A Royal Interjection - I Can't Sign!

So there we were, walking around the international grocery store: me (Royal), Ale, and Scarlett.  I (mostly) had no idea what they were trying to communicate to me.  I thought for sure at one point that Scarlett indicated her family really liked hot peppers in their food.  "Great!" I thought.  "We can finally get rid of that one jar of medium-heat slasa we accidentally bought."  Then when we got home the Mexican dish Ale made turned out to be too hot for Scarlett!?  Eh?  Alright . . . well, there was also the moment in the store when Ale signed this strange Spanish word: C-H-E-S-S-E.  I had no idea.  She was like (at least, this is my interpretation of the flurry of signs that came next) what do you mean you have no idea?  It's your English word!  OH!  You signed C-H-E-E-S-E!  Got it!  Right.  Sometimes I think we're communicating, but then I find out later we were all just smiling and nodding politely!  Well, at least we had fun when I showed them the giant Iranian nan bread.  They thought about making a huge burrito . . . so I had to show them the picture of Elizabeth eating the giant nan burrito we made last year just for fun!  We had a good laugh at that.  By the way, the Mexican sign for potato looks suspiciously like peeling an orange.  Just so you know.  

2 comments:

  1. Liz and Royal, just learned of your blog. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I'll be following your adventures.

    deborah mccullough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah! So good to "see" you again! Will I see you at Flo Valley next week? I have classes on Wed.

    ReplyDelete