Friday, August 10, 2012

Yay for those who love to cook!

I got my first treat out of hosting tonight; and it showed up while I was stealing a nap!

I laid down at 5:50pm. I was totally exhausted, but didn't want to admit it.  I let the girls run "My LIttle Pony"  on Netflix for all to watch. Royal had taken the SEEDs by the international grocery "on their way home", which turned into over an hour by this time, and they still hadn't gotten home.

Well, eventually I woke up to find Alejandra busily making Chicken Mole from scratch on my stove. Wow! The cooking was very, very slow compared to the recipes I am accustomed to. (Now I know why the restaurants take so long to make it.) And when the chicken was done boiling, she hand-shredded it. I helped as much as I could. It was very slow going, but luckily our family had already eaten. Infact, they went out with Uncle Nick to some cool car racing event. I stayed home with our SEEDs. Then, she took each plate and instructed Scarlett to spread the mole evenly over the folded tortilla. I was so impressed by the process and the beauty of the cooking work!

Then, I saw the Kodak moment. She was doing something with the tortillas over the stove...She was heating them directly on the electric element!! by hand!! The girls had told me that they both had gas stoves back home, so I asked if they heated tortillas over the open flame? Both said yes, that was their way of heating them! I had to get a picture.

So, Alejandra and Scarlett have agreed to alternate cooking each night.  I'm very excited!! I got a super-delicious, restaurant-quality meal from another culture. Tomorrow night it is Nicaraguan cuisine!!!


1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! I'm sure the food is to die for. I'm glad that you are enjoying your guests! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete