Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Honeymoon Stage

Bosslady Jeannette tells us that at the beginning when everyone is getting acquainted, our family and our SEEDs will go through a "honeymoon stage".

My husband and I have stayed up for the past 3 nights just visiting after dinner together with our SEEDs. Our home is more full, there is more love here. Tonight my 9 year old daughter came running to me after my nap, "Mommy! Ale made me quesadillas today and I knew exactly what she was saying! I'm so glad the SEED students are here!"
And, "Scarlett was showing me her scrapbook from Nicaragua, and we communicated so good! Look at all the words we wrote down on this paper!!"

Royal and I are spending hours communicating and getting to know these wonderful young women, but how much time have I spent today noticing my little ones? I'm getting a lesson in what makes life taste good.

My "rush about all day long hurrying to get more done" is NOT a mentality that works with our 2 new cultures. Dinner takes about 2 hours to prepare. And preparing it is like an event. It's not means to the event, it is an important event in itself...just making the food...together.  And it is really peaceful.

And, I'm noticing it doesn't really work in getting your kids to feel loved, either. I'm praying I can remember to slow down and work with my kids the way I'm having to work with my SEEDs. I think we'll all be a bit more in love.

2 comments:

  1. My personal honeymoon period never really ended, more just evolved over the last 7 years. Love the blog so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insight about slowing down and being present for all the joy to be experienced!

    Good thoughts,
    deborah

    ReplyDelete