Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Picture This

It is so amazing to teach sign language to Deaf people!

I feel that my ability to create a visual picture with American Sign Language has soared. Ale was asking me this morning how to turn off that very cold air blowing into her room all night. And, I didn't have to use any sign "words". I just showed her the 3-D model of the air conditioner register in her room and showed in in 3-D how it worked, and what the inside parts looked like. Then, she knew how to operate it herself.

I usually feel that my signing is inadequate, especially because since starting the Deaf Studies program at FVCC, I have very little real interaction with the Deaf!! I have not been able to make time to go out from my family and hang out in the Deaf community. But now, I interact with my Deaf family everyday, and the most amazing part is that all three of us are learning together.

My signing is improving and I'm not annoying some poor American Deaf soul while trying to learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment